Drunk driving car accidents shatter thousands of lives in Texas every year. If you were injured in a crash with a drunk driver, you might need help covering the costs of your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses. These losses should not be your responsibility. They should be the intoxicated driver’s responsibility.
At the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC, we can help you pursue the compensation you deserve from the drunk driver who hit you. For over 30 years, we have advocated for the rights of accident victims in El Paso and throughout Texas. Our firm has a proven track record of success in winning settlements and verdicts and a reputation for maximizing compensation for our clients. Contact our DUI accident lawyers in El Paso today for a free consultation about your options and how we can help.
Drunk Driving Accident Statistics in Texas
Thousands of people die or suffer severe injuries in drunk driving accidents each year in Texas. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, drunk driving car accidents caused 2,551 suspected serious injuries in one recent year. That same year, more than 1,000 people died in drunk driving accidents.
Dangers of Drunk Driving
Drunk driving significantly impacts a driver’s ability to safely operate a vehicle. Driving under the influence of alcohol impairs the following:
- Judgment – Drinking often lowers people’s inhibitions, making them more prone to risky behavior. Drunk drivers are more likely to behave recklessly behind the wheel, such as running red lights or making unsafe lane changes.
- Coordination – Drinking can impact a driver’s coordination, making it harder for them to control their car. If a drunk driver makes a sharp turn or another maneuver that requires fine motor skills, they might lose control of the wheel and crash.
- Vision – Intoxicated drivers often experience blurred vision or have trouble seeing clearly. Drivers who cannot focus on the road or see cars nearby have a greater chance of causing a crash. They may miss a hazard on the road or fail to see it in time to avoid a collision. Drinking also affects drivers’ perception, so they are also more likely to make a mistake that leads to a crash. For example, a drunk driver might not realize how close an oncoming car is when making a lefthand turn.
- Reaction Time – Drinking can significantly increase a driver’s reaction time. If an impaired driver cannot react quickly enough to avoid potential hazards, their chances of causing a crash increase dramatically.
What You Should Do If You’ve Been Injured by a Drunk Driver
If a drunk driver has injured you, there are some steps you can take to protect your legal rights and lay a strong foundation for an insurance claim. If possible, you should:
- Call 911 – Call 911 to summon emergency medical services and law enforcement after a drunk driving crash. The responding police officers will make an accident report that could be helpful evidence in your case, especially if their tests confirm the driver was intoxicated.
- Get the other driver’s information – Try to get the name, phone number, registration information, license plate number, and insurance information of the drunk driver who hit you. If they are too intoxicated to give you their information or are behaving aggressively, keep your distance and jot down whatever identifying information you can. You can also ask the police to help get this information.
- Take pictures – Use your phone to take photos and video of the crash scene, including any visible injuries you suffer, damage to your vehicle, road conditions, and traffic signs.
- Look for additional evidence – Look for bystanders who may have seen the crash and ask for their contact information. Take note of whether any nearby businesses have surveillance cameras that may have captured the accident.
- Save your medical records and receipts – Once you start medical treatment, save all your medical records to ensure you have proof of your injuries. Also, keep any receipts that prove your financial losses from the accident.
- Do not say anything to insurance companies – You do not want to say anything to an insurer that could compromise your case. The best way to ensure you recover maximum compensation after a drunk driving crash is to let your lawyer handle all communication with the insurance companies.
- Hire a drunk driving car accident lawyer – A DWI accident attorney has the knowledge and experience to help you maximize the value of an insurance claim or lawsuit. Let an attorney handle your case so you can concentrate on healing.
What Damages Might Be Recovered in Drunk Driving Car Accidents
Every case is different, but you might be entitled to compensation for the financial and personal losses you incur from a drunk driving car accident. You might be compensated for the following:
- Any medical bills related to treating your injuries
- Lost wages if you cannot work while you heal from your injuries
- Reduced future earnings if your injuries result in a permanent disability
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life if you cannot participate in your usual activities
- Damaged personal property
Types of Evidence in a Drunk Driving Accident Claim
A drunk driving accident lawyer’s key responsibility is finding evidence to support your case. Common types of evidence in cases involving car accidents from drunk driving include:
- Police accident reports
- Medical records
- Crash scene photos
- Eyewitness accounts
- Surveillance footage
- Expert testimony
How a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Can Help You
If a drunk driver in Texas injured you, you should not have to navigate the legal system alone. Let the experienced team at the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC handle the details of your case so that you can focus on healing from your injuries. We can investigate the crash, gather evidence to prove the driver’s intoxication and pursue the maximum compensation you deserve. Our car accident attorneys are prepared to take on big insurance companies and aggressively negotiate for a fair settlement.
Contact our drunk driving accident lawyers in Texas today to learn more about how we can help you.