The aftermath of an El Paso bus accident can be devastating for victims and their families. Many bus accident victims suffer serious injuries that can affect the rest of their lives. Filing a claim against a bus company may help you recover the compensation you need to pay for your care and reimburse you for your lost income. However, bus accident cases can be very complex and often require the assistance of experienced bus accident law firms.
For more than 30 years, the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC has provided uncompromising legal services to El Paso accident victims. We have the grit and determination to fight against the biggest corporations and insurance companies. We don’t back down or settle unless we are certain we have achieved the best outcome for your case. Give us a call or contact us online to get your claim started.
What to Do After a Bus Accident in El Paso
If you are involved in a bus accident in El Paso, the first thing to do is to seek immediate medical attention if you were injured. Then, gather the facts about the accident. Write down the following details about the accident:
- The bus driver’s name, employer, and insurance information
- The name of any other motorist involved in the accident
- The names and contact information for any witnesses
- The bus number, license plate number, and other identifying information
- A brief summary of how and when the bus accident happened
If you are able, take pictures of the damage to the bus, skid marks, debris on the roadway, and any other tangible details that may have contributed to the accident. Also, take pictures of your injuries as they heal.
Look around the accident scene for any traffic cameras, business surveillance cameras, or other cameras that may have captured the incident.
Then, contact an experienced bus accident attorney. Since bus accidents often involve government entities and complex legal issues, be sure you look for a lawyer who has the knowledge and resources necessary to handle this type of claim.
How a Bus Accident Attorney in El Paso Can Help
Bus accidents often involve several parties who may share in liability for the accident, such as the driver, bus company, a third-party employer, and government agencies. If the government is involved, special notice and filing deadlines may apply, leaving you little time to establish your claim. A city bus crash or school bus accident attorney will be familiar with these requirements and can handle the legal aspects of your claim while you focus on your recovery.
Additionally, an experienced bus accident lawyer will fight for you to receive the maximum compensation available for your claim. The other side will likely try to deny responsibility in order to avoid paying you what you deserve. We will work to establish liability in your case and the damages you have suffered because of the defendants’ negligence.
An attorney may be able to strengthen your claim by:
- Conducting an investigation – Our experienced attorneys can conduct an investigation into all of the potential causes of your accident. We will also help identify all potentially liable parties so that you can seek compensation for the full extent of your damages.
- Preserving evidence – Buses often contain “black box” data similar to those found in commercial trucks and airplanes. This data may contain important details about the moments leading up to the accident, such as the speed and the last time the brakes were applied. We will get to work quickly on your case to preserve the evidence in your case.
- Gathering documentation of your damages – You may be able to receive compensation for the damages you suffered in the bus accident, including medical expenses, damage to your vehicle, lost wages, lost earning capacity, and pain and suffering. We will gather the evidence necessary to show the full extent the accident has had on your life.
- Negotiating with the insurance company – Our team can handle all communication with the insurance company so you don’t have to deal with the hassle. We will also negotiate a fair settlement that is based on our years of experience in personal injury law and our commitment to achieve a satisfactory outcome on your claim.
Who Is Liable for My Injuries After a Bus Accident?
Anyone who contributes to a bus accident can be legally liable for your injuries. This may include the following parties:
- Bus driver
- Bus company
- Other motorists
- Government entity
- Bus or parts manufacturer
Our lawyers will thoroughly investigate your claim and identify all parties who may share in liability. We will then help you demand full compensation from the responsible parties.
Why Are Bus Accidents So Dangerous?
While bus accidents are far less common than car accidents, they often result in far more destruction. This is due to several reasons, including:
- Their size – Buses weigh several tons and are much larger than passenger vehicles. Occupants in smaller vehicles are no match for their massive size. As a result, they often suffer severe injuries in bus accidents.
- Their design – The design of buses makes them more likely to roll over if they’re involved in a crash. Rollover accidents can lead to serious injuries for the passengers onboard and any other motorists or bystanders on the roadway. The design also makes it more difficult for drivers to handle the vehicle, further increasing the likelihood of an accident.
- Passengers’ positions – Most buses do not come equipped with seat belts. Unrestrained passengers may be flung around the inside of the bus or even be ejected from the vehicle. Additionally, passengers often stand up while riding a bus. In the event of an accident, the momentum of their body can cause severe injuries to others when they are flung about the bus.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Some of the most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Driver fatigue
- Driver inexperience
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Driver impairment due to drugs or alcohol
- Poor weather or road conditions
- Inadequate bus maintenance
- Defective equipment
Bus Accident Injuries
Some of the most common injuries that follow a bus accident include:
- Head and brain injuries
- Sprains, strains, and other soft tissue injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Facial injuries
- Lacerations, contusions, and abrasions
Contact the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC
If you were injured in a bus accident, contact the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC. Bus companies and their insurance providers often try to deny fault or convince victims that they have no claim. Our lawyers will put their more than 30 years of combined legal experience to use to investigate your claim and demand full compensation for your injuries.
The stress of lost wages and mounting medical bills, the pain of your injuries, and the concerns you have about the future can be overwhelming. A dedicated personal injury lawyer from the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC can be the ally you need to help you through this challenging time. We offer a free consultation to review the circumstances of your claim and help you determine the next steps. Call or contact us today to get started on the process of recovery.