car accident compensation

An El Paso auto accident attorney dedicated to helping victims

You’ve been hurt in a car accident in Texas. Your injuries are being treated, but you can’t return to work right away because of your injury. Your medical bills start adding up. The usual bills keep coming in. Many people have found themselves in this situation. They feel they should be compensated for the injuries they received in the accident, but aren’t sure where to start.

That’s where we can help. The Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC has worked with drivers in El Paso and throughout Texas to get them the compensation they deserve for their injuries. There are different ways we can help you get the money you need after an auto accident. We can help you decide the best course of action and will aggressively fight for your rights.

Texas ‘Fault’ Insurance System

When it comes to car insurance, Texas is a “fault” state. This means that the person who caused the accident is considered “at fault,” and is responsible for paying the damages, a legal term for financial compensation.

That’s why all Texas drivers are required to have car insurance policies with minimum amounts of liability coverage. These minimum limits are:

  • $30,000 for each injured person per accident
  • $60,000 for all injured persons in an accident
  • $25,000 in property damage.

How Texas’s car insurance system works

But actually getting compensation after an accident can be complicated. We can explain all the legal options available to you, which include:

  • Filing a claim against the at-fault driver – This is called a “third-party” claim and is handled by the driver’s insurance company. But the insurance company often isn’t interested in paying you fair compensation. They just want your claim to go away quickly and cheaply. We don’t put up with those tactics and can negotiate a favorable settlement.
  • Filing a claim with your own insurance company – This is called a “first-party” claim, and can help pay the costs of damages not covered by the other driver’s insurance company. You can file a first-party -claim even if you were responsible for the accident, which can help you pay your costs and those of the other driver.
  • Filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver – If the other driver’s insurance company refuses to make a fair settlement offer, or blames you for the accident, we will fight them in court. We have the resources and experience needed to build a strong case that can’t be ignored. Once they see we are serious about fighting for what you deserve, insurance companies may agree to a favorable settlement at the last minute.

You also have the option of adding optional coverage to your insurance policy that can provide added compensation in certain circumstances. Uninsured and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage can pay for costs if you are injured by a driver who has no insurance, or not enough. Collision coverage can help pay for the damage to your car. And personal injury protection (PIP) can help you pay for medical expenses and part of your lost wages if you can’t work.

If you’ve been in a serious car accident in Texas, you need a car accident attorney serious about recovering compensation. You need the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC. Call 915-532-1111 or contact us online for a free case evaluation.