Follow these steps after an El Paso auto accident
A car accident can be overwhelming. In the moments after the crash, you may have trouble thinking straight. You may be angry. You may be in pain. At the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC, we understand what victims go through after an accident.
It’s very important to take a few steps after an accident to make sure your rights are protected. We would like to offer the following tips about what you can do after a car accident. Feel free to print out this page and keep a copy in your glove box.
- Don’t leave the accident. The law requires you to stay at the scene of an El Paso car accident.
- Call the police and tell them if anyone is injured. Let them know if anyone is hurt or if you suspect someone was drunk driving.
- Render aid. Don’t move someone who is badly injured unless they’re in greater danger by being left alone.
- Don’t volunteer any comments about the accident to anyone, including insurance company representatives. If questioned by a police officer, stick to the facts. Don’t offer your interpretation of what happened.
- Collect names, addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers, make and model of cars, insurance information from drivers and the name of the registered owner of the vehicle. Don’t assume police will collect this information.
- Write down details about the accident, such as the date and time of the accident, the directions of the vehicles, how it occurred, the names and badge numbers of police offers who came to the scene, and any damage to the vehicles that you saw. If you don’t have access to pen and paper, you may be able to record a memo using your cell phone.
- Take pictures or video of the accident scene, including damage to vehicles, skid marks, street signs, and weather conditions. Most cell phones have a camera feature, and some even have a video feature.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. This is important, even if you think you’re able to “shake it off.” Some car accident injuries become more serious as time goes by.
- Get in touch with an experienced car accident lawyer in El Paso. Call the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC before you call the insurance company to make sure your rights are fully protected. We can provide a free consultation and let you know about your rights.
Understanding Your Rights and Next Steps
Following a car accident in El Paso, prioritizing your health and safety is key, but it’s equally important to understand your rights and the steps toward legal recovery. The path post-accident involves more than addressing injuries or vehicle damage; it navigates through insurance claims and potential legal disputes. Texas law offers protections to accident victims, including compensation for medical expenses, lost earnings, and pain. Yet, claiming these rights can be complex, especially with insurance adjusters aiming to reduce payouts. It’s crucial to be cautious in your interactions post-accident. Consulting with an experienced car accident lawyer before engaging with insurance companies or settling can ensure your rights are fully protected and you’re guided appropriately through the process.
Contact an El Paso accident attorney at the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC
Contact the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC. Call 915-532-1111, or contact us online. A tough-minded auto accident attorney in El Paso is ready to answer your questions and discuss your best course of action. With our personal injury attorneys on your side, you can tell the insurance companies you mean business.