Of all the ways in which a truck accident can injure or kill someone, one common cause of truck accident and underestimated is crashes caused by cargo problems. The Texas Department of Transportation reports there were 581 deaths, 1,245 suspected serious injuries, and 3,966 non-incapacitating injuries from truck accidents in one recent year. A separate report says there was one fatal crash, 13 crashes resulting in serious injuries, and 61 crashes involving non-incapacitating injuries as a result of unsecured cargo loads that year.
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident caused by cargo problems, contact a cargo truck accident attorney right away. The El Paso cargo truck accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC, have been fighting for victims of truck accidents for more than 30 years. We’re proud of our local ties and our strong track record of success. Contact us today for a free initial consultation.
Why Do I Need a Cargo Truck Accident Lawyer?
There are two key reasons to hire a lawyer after a cargo accident involving a tractor trailer. The first is that truck accidents are often more complicated than other kinds of motor-vehicle crashes. There may be multiple parties who are liable for your injuries, such as the truck driver, the trucking company, the cargo loaders, and others. To get full compensation for your injuries, you’ll need to file a claim against each responsible party. An experienced truck accident lawyer in El Paso can investigate your accident and identify all parties against whom you have a claim.
The second key reason to hire a lawyer after an accident involving cargo trucks is the high stakes involved. Truck accidents, no matter the cause, often result in catastrophic, lifelong injuries. These injuries can lead to expensive medical bills and greatly affect your future earning potential.
To help you pursue the money you need to cover these expenses, you’ll want help from an experienced truck accident lawyer. You may be in poor physical condition after the accident, and an attorney can get your case moving while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
Why Choose Michael Gopin as Your Cargo Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accident claims are some of the most common cases we handle at the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC. We have decades of experience handling personal injury claims and have a thorough knowledge of cargo law in the state of Texas.
What really sets us apart is our commitment to our clients. We have deep ties to our local community and treat our clients like people, not just case files. We have the knowledge, tools, and experience to build a strong case for compensation on your behalf. We will vigorously defend your rights against insurance companies.
Common Causes of Cargo Truck Accidents
Some of the most common causes of cargo truck accidents include:
- Cargo swaying or shifting within a trailer – If a truck is pulling a trailer that isn’t full or has cargo that isn’t properly secured, the cargo can shift or sway within the trailer. This can affect the vehicle’s balance, which can cause the truck to overturn when it slows down or makes a turn. Even if the vehicle does not overturn, the balance being off could make it harder for the driver to safely control it.
- Cargo falling off the truck – Trucks often move large, heavy objects over long distances. These objects can cause serious damage if they come loose while the truck is moving. This can happen if the cargo hasn’t been properly secured or the restraints have worn down over time. Cargo can also come loose if the truck or trailer experiences a violent impact. Regardless of how it comes loose, cargo and debris can collide with other vehicles as they’re flying in the air. Other vehicles can also collide with fallen cargo and debris once they’re lying in the road.
- Tied-down cargo extends beyond the back of the truck – Certain types of cargo can end up sliding out past the end of the truck or trailer bed, especially if the truck has to stop suddenly or takes a sharp turn. This can cause the cargo to strike other vehicles traveling behind the truck.
How to Pursue a Claim After a Cargo Truck Accident
To maximize your potential for fair recovery, you will need to start building your claim immediately after the accident. Here are the main steps involved in filing a claim after a cargo truck accident:
- Seek medical treatment – Your first priority after any truck accident is to get as medical treatment as possible, so your first call should be to 911.
- Document the scene – While you’re waiting for the ambulance to arrive, document the accident scene as best you can. Take pictures of your injuries, the damage to any vehicles, and the area surrounding the damaged vehicles. If there are any eyewitnesses, get their names and contact information.
- Maintain records – Make sure to hold on to your medical records and bills, as you can use them to document the losses you’ve suffered in the accident.
- Be careful what you say – Don’t admit fault, apologize, or say anything that can be considered an admission at the accident scene. Don’t say anything about the accident on social media. Also, if the insurance company asks for a recorded statement, refuse.
- Contact a cargo truck accident lawyer – Talk to a cargo truck accident lawyer as soon as you can. They can begin working on your case while you’re healing from your injuries.
Once you’ve hired an attorney, they can begin gathering evidence to determine who’s liable for your injuries and what compensation you may be eligible for. After the investigation is complete, your lawyer will file a claim on your behalf against any liable parties. Most claims are resolved through an insurance settlement, but a trial may be necessary in some cases.
Contact Michael Gopin Today for Help with Your Cargo Truck Accident Claim
Don’t take the risk of filing a claim after a cargo truck accident without help from an experienced attorney. With help from The Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC, and a cargo truck accident lawyer in El Paso, Texas, your rights will be protected. We will fight for the compensation you need following a serious cargo truck accident lawyer. Contact our office in El Paso today for a free initial consultation.