Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Should I move my car after my auto accident?
A: Safety is the priority. If the car is in a position that poses a danger to others or obstructs traffic, and it’s safe to do so, move it to a safer location nearby. However, if there are serious injuries or the vehicle is badly damaged, it’s best to leave it where it is and wait for the police or emergency services. Remember to turn on your hazard lights.

Q: Should I call the police after my auto accident?
A: Yes, it’s important to call the police, especially if there are injuries, significant damage, or any dispute about the accident. A police report can be a valuable piece of evidence when filing an insurance claim or if legal action is necessary.

Q: What should I do after I call the police about my car accident?
A: After calling the police, ensure everyone’s safety and get medical attention if needed. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other party, but avoid discussing fault or details of the accident. Gather contact information from witnesses, and wait for the police to arrive to make an official report.

Q: Should I take photographs of my auto accident?
A: Definitely. Photographs can provide crucial evidence. Take pictures of the vehicles, damage, accident scene, road conditions, traffic signs, and any injuries. These can help in insurance claims and potential legal proceedings.

Q: Should I request a copy of my accident report from the police?
A: Yes, obtaining a copy of the police report is important. It contains an officer’s assessment of the accident and can be vital in insurance claims and legal matters. You can typically request this report from the local police department.

Q: Should I see a doctor after my car accident even if I feel fine?
A: It’s wise to see a doctor even if you feel fine immediately after the accident. Some injuries, like whiplash, may not be immediately apparent. A medical professional can provide a thorough examination and document any injuries, which is crucial for insurance and legal purposes.

Q: Should I hire a lawyer after my car accident in Texas?
A: Considering the complexities of car accident claims and Texas law, consulting with a lawyer can be beneficial. A lawyer can help navigate insurance claims, deal with legal procedures, and ensure your rights are protected, especially if there are significant injuries, disputes about who is at fault, or complexities in your case. The Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC, with their expertise in personal injury law, can provide the necessary legal support and guidance.

Q: What you should do in the event that you are involved in a slip and fall accident?
A: Just because you fall in a store or a business, does not mean they are responsible for the damages that may have occurred during a slip and fall. When this happens, you need to fill out an accident report. Even if at the time you don’t feel you may have been injured, you may start to feel pain in the future. Find the store manager and give him all information necessary to fill out this report. Next, take photos of the area where your accident occurred, what you slipped on, and surrounding areas. If there are any eyewitnesses ask for their contact information as well.

Q: What are the tricks that insurance companies use to deflect your claim?
A: The buddy approach, insurance adjusters at first may seem like they are looking out for your best interest. They give you advice on things to do and say they are going to help you. They are not, don’t be fooled. The recorded statement, this is a way to trick you into admitting fault or gathering negative information that can affect your case. Do not give a statement until you have legal representation. The doctor approach, an insurance adjuster may try and get you to admit to a preexisting injury or medical issue in a way to makes it seem like the current accident wasn’t the cause of your injuries. Don’t fall for their tricks.