Know what to do next after a dog attack in El Paso
The moments following a dog attack can be frightening. You or your child may be in extreme pain. It’s hard to keep a cool head, but it’s also important to take a few crucial steps after a dog attack to make sure your rights are protected and to prevent further injury.
Were you or your child injured in a dog attack? Don’t let the insurance company decide what happens next. Choose aggressive El Paso dog bite attorneys who can stand up and ensure your rights are protected. Call 915-532-1111 for a free consultation today. Let the insurance companies know you mean business.
The following are steps to take following a dog attack:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health or that of your child is paramount. Even if injuries appear minor, it’s essential to get them evaluated by a medical professional. Dog bites can lead to serious infections, rabies, or other complications if not properly treated. Ensure you keep all medical records and documents related to the treatment, as they play a critical role in any legal action or insurance claim.
- Identify the Dog and Owner: If possible, safely identify the dog that attacked and obtain the owner’s contact information. Knowing the dog’s owner is vital for legal and insurance purposes. If the dog is a stray, report it to local animal control agencies so they can take the necessary steps to prevent further incidents.
- Document the Incident: Take photographs of the injuries, the location where the attack occurred, and the dog if you can do so without risking further harm. These images will serve as crucial evidence in building your case. Additionally, write down a detailed account of the incident while the memories are fresh, including the time, date, and any witnesses present.
- Report the Attack: File a report with local authorities or animal control in El Paso. Official documentation of the attack can significantly support your case, ensuring the incident is formally recorded and appropriate measures are taken against the dog owner if necessary.
Legal Steps to Consider
- Consult with a Dog Bite Attorney: Before reaching out to insurance companies, consult with a dog bite attorney in El Paso. Specialized legal professionals can offer invaluable advice on how to proceed, ensuring your rights are fully protected. An experienced lawyer will understand the nuances of Texas dog bite laws and can guide you through the complexities of your claim, advocating on your behalf.
- Understand Your Rights: Texas law provides certain protections for dog bite victims, including the possibility of seeking compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Familiarize yourself with these rights to ensure you are adequately compensated for your injuries and any long-term effects.
- Do Not Negotiate with Insurance Companies Alone: Insurance companies may attempt to contact you following the incident. Their goal is often to settle the matter quickly and for as little as possible. It’s imperative not to agree to any settlements or make official statements without consulting your attorney, as this can significantly impact the outcome of your claim.
Taking Control of the Situation
- Choose Aggressive Legal Representation: In El Paso, opting for a dog bite attorney with a track record of aggressively defending their clients’ rights is crucial. The right legal team will not only aim to secure the compensation you deserve but will also handle all negotiations with insurance companies, allowing you to focus on recovery.
- Free Consultation and Confidentiality: Select a law firm that offers a free, no-obligation consultation. This initial meeting will give you a clearer understanding of your legal options without any financial pressure. Confidentiality ensures that the details of your case are protected throughout the legal process.
- Contingency Fee Basis: Look for a law firm that operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning you don’t pay unless you win. This arrangement aligns the law firm’s interests with yours, motivating them to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact an El Paso dog bite lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a dog attack, or your child sustained a dog bite injury, contact our dog bite lawyer. Call our law firm at 915-532-1111. Your consultation is free and confidential. You don’t pay unless you win.
We fight relentlessly to protect the rights of our clients. Take back control. Contact the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC. Tell them you mean business.