In El Paso, all property owners are responsible for maintaining their property and keeping it in a condition that is considered safe for everyone to enter. Unfortunately, not all property owners live up to this responsibility. They allow their properties to fall into disrepair with dangers that put visitors in harm’s way.
When you are hurt in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you should learn about your legal rights. Our experienced El Paso slip and fall attorneys at the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC, can review your case for free and explain all your options. You may be entitled to payment for your medical expenses, missed time from work, and other losses.
Schedule a free consultation now to tell us what happened to you and learn how we can help.
What Do You Have to Prove in a Slip and Fall Claim?
Proving your slip and fall claim can be a complex process, and every case is unique. That’s why you would benefit from the experience and resources of a skilled personal injury attorney who has successfully handled cases like yours before.
To prove your claim, you must show that:
- There was a dangerous condition. The first thing you must prove in a slip and fall claim is that the property had an unsafe condition. This can include slippery floors, defects in a sidewalk, or obstacles within a walkway.
- The property owner had enough time to correct it. In Texas, you must also prove that there was a sufficient amount of time for the property owner to become aware of the condition and fix it. For example, if a staff member in a grocery store spilled something on the floor, you will need to show that there was enough time to clean it and prevent your fall.
- The property owner did not warn visitors of the condition. For example, if a staff member in a grocery store spilled something but did not put out a warning sign to protect shoppers while getting the supplies to clean it up.
Also, you must prove that you did not cause or contribute to the accident that resulted in your injuries, as that could reduce the amount of compensation you receive.
How Can a Slip and Fall Attorney Help?
If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident, it’s important that you speak to an experienced attorney who has the skills to go up against a large insurance company. A few of the ways our slip and fall accident lawyers in El Paso can help include:
- Proving that the property owner was negligent, leading to a dangerous condition
- Documenting all your current and future losses related to your injury
- Working with experts to support your claim for full compensation
- Taking care of all documents including drafting court documents and ensuring your claim meets deadlines
- Managing all communication with the insurance companies
- Aggressively negotiating for a fair settlement
- Taking your case to trial if the insurance company refuses to make a fair offer
Our slip and fall attorneys will always act as your advocates and work in your best interests. Our goal is to recover the maximum compensation you need to heal and move forward with your life.
Compensation Available After a Slip and Fall Accident
There are many different types of compensation available in a slip and fall accident claim. The most common damages typically include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Current and future lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity, if you cannot return to the same line of work
- Current and future pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
In some cases, punitive damages may also be awarded by the court. Unlike the damages above, punitive damages are not meant to compensate you for losses you sustained as a result of the accident. Instead, they are meant to punish the defendant for extremely negligent, or careless, behavior.