If you’ve been hurt in a rear-end truck accident, the team at the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC, is here to help. With more than 30 years of combined legal experience, our attorneys have the skills and the resources to investigate your crash and demand the full compensation you deserve. To schedule your free initial consultation with an El Paso truck accident attorney, contact us now.
What to Do After Being Rear-Ended by a Truck in El Paso
Your top priority after any truck accident should be your health. However, there are also some steps you can take to protect a future claim for compensation. For example:
- Call 911 right away. You will likely need emergency medical attention for your injuries. You also need to bring law enforcement to the scene so they can investigate the crash. A police accident report is often a crucial piece of evidence in truck accident claims. Get a copy after the report is complete, or your lawyer can do that for you.
- Take as many pictures as possible. Take photos or videos of your injuries, the damage to the vehicles, the area surrounding the crash scene, and any other relevant evidence. If you’re too hurt to take pictures yourself, ask someone to take photos for you.
- Get contact information from the truck driver. Get the driver’s name, phone number, email address, mailing address, license plate number, and driver’s license number. You’ll also want to get the name of the truck driver’s employer and their insurance information. If there were any witnesses to the crash, get their contact information as well.
- See a doctor. If you aren’t taken to a hospital after the accident, make an appointment to see your own doctor as soon as you can. You need to be fully evaluated, and your doctor can help document your injuries as evidence for your claim.
- Talk to a lawyer. Trucking companies have immense resources to fight legal battles. A truck accident lawyer will know how to gather the necessary evidence to prove your claim and help you make the strongest case possible for fair compensation.
Liability for Rear-End Truck Crashes
Truck drivers are often the liable party in rear-end truck crashes, but other parties can share liability. Potentially liable parties in a rear-end truck crash include:
- The truck driver, if he or she acted negligently (i.e., driving while drunk, driving while fatigued, speeding, etc.)
- The truck driver’s employer, if the trucking company knew the driver was acting negligently and did nothing to stop it (i.e., driving too long without taking a break, knowledge of drug or alcohol abuse by the driver, etc.)
- The truck’s manufacturer, if a part on the truck broke or malfunctioned in some way and caused the crash
- Other parts manufacturers, for similar reasons
- Cargo loaders, if the cargo was loaded improperly and caused a crash
- Maintenance companies and mechanics, if improper maintenance led to an accident
Compensation for Rear-End Truck Accident Injuries
After a rear-end truck accident, you can potentially claim compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earning capacity
- The physical pain caused by your injuries
- Any mental anguish due to the accident or your injuries (depression, anxiety, nightmares, PTSD, etc.)
- Loss of financial and emotional support from an injured or deceased family member
- Funeral and burial expenses, if you lost a family member in the accident
Rear-End Truck Accident Causes
Rear-end truck accidents can happen for a wide range of reasons. Many of these causes are the result of negligent behavior by the truck’s driver. But other factors can also play a role. Some of the most common causes of rear-end truck accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving while fatigued (often a result of going too long without taking a break)
- Reckless driving (aggressive lane changes, failure to use turn signals, etc.)
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Bad weather
- Poor road conditions
- Defective brakes or other parts on the truck
- Improperly loaded cargo
Why It’s Important to Have an Experienced Rear-End Truck Accident Lawyer Supporting You
Truck accidents often involve much more extensive injuries than a typical car accident. This means that victims face higher stakes in fighting for the compensation they need to recover. They’re also facing off against tough opponents: deep-pocketed truck companies and their insurance providers. Furthermore, trucking companies may try to quickly destroy crucial evidence like a vehicle’s data recorder.
Having a skilled rear-end truck accident attorney to handle your claim gives you a much greater chance of success. A knowledgeable truck accident lawyer will act quickly and decisively to secure all the evidence in your case. Your attorney can also help you document the full extent of your damages, so you are demanding the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC
Contact our rear-end truck accident attorneys now to learn how we can take the pressure off you during this difficult time. Schedule your free case review today.