Different Types of Expert Witnesses in Personal Injury Cases
When seeking compensation for an injury accident in El Paso, what you can prove is often more important than what you know. Without sufficient evidence to prove that another person’s negligence caused your accident and injuries, it will be challenging to recover any compensation. Fortunately, expert witnesses could significantly help bolster your case in some instances.
As an El Paso injury lawyer, attorney Michael J. Gopin has used expert witnesses to help many accident victims recover fair compensation for their injuries. Here, we’ll share some information on why expert witnesses could be vital to your case and some of the most common types of expert witnesses.
The Importance of Expert Witnesses
An expert witness will typically be a professional with specific education, experience, and other credentials and qualifications that make them a credible expert in a particular area. An expert witness could investigate your accident or examine the evidence in your case and offer their conclusions about how you were injured and who they believe could be responsible for your injuries. Expert witnesses could also bolster your claim by providing additional context and support for any other evidence you may have.
Types of Expert Witnesses
Many types of expert witnesses can be called in a personal injury case, but six of the more common types are:
- Forensic expert — A forensic expert is a professional investigator specializing in applying scientific, analytical techniques to answer questions of facts in a personal injury case. Using their training and experience, a forensic expert can recreate an accident and highlight who may be responsible for your injuries.
- Medical expert — A medical expert has training in medicine and how the human body works. They can help identify how your injuries occurred based on your medical records and other evidence. A forensic pathologist can help determine the cause and time of death in wrongful death cases.
- Engineering expert — Engineering experts use their knowledge of design and mechanical systems to look at a product or piece of equipment and see if it was designed and manufactured safely. They can also testify whether or not a product is safe to use.
- Chemical expert — Chemical experts use their knowledge of chemistry, toxicology, and related fields to analyze substances that may be involved in a personal injury case, such as toxic industrial chemicals or dangerous prescription drugs.
- Economic expert — Economic experts can analyze your finances and expenses after an accident to determine losses you’ve incurred, such as medical bills, lost income, and other economic losses.
- Vocational expert — Vocational experts are often called in personal injury cases to determine whether someone is capable of returning to work after an accident and how long they may be out of work due to their injuries.
How Michael Gopin Can Help
Were you injured in an accident caused by negligence in El Paso? If so, turn to an injury attorney with the experience, skills, and network of expert witnesses necessary to build a strong case on your behalf. Attorney Michael Gopin and his team fight for the rights of those injured in our community, and we’ll be ready to stand up for you. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Michael J. Gopin has practiced law in El Paso since 1987. Even after more than 30 years, he still remembers his first jury case. He graduated from the University of Texas in Austin in 1983 with a bachelor of business administration, majoring in accounting. He received his juris doctorate degree from St. Mary’s School of Law in San Antonio. Michael has successfully handled countless cases of medical malpractice, product liability, personal injury, and nursing home negligence. He enjoys helping people “get their lives back in order” by providing high-quality legal representation and compassionate customer service.