All types of motorcycle accidents have the potential to be catastrophic for riders. Because motorcycles leave riders so exposed, the effects of what might be a minor collision between two passenger vehicles are significantly magnified when a motorcycle is involved.
One tragic illustration of this danger is the fact that, while motorcycles account for just 0.6 percent of all vehicle miles traveled in this country, they account for 14 percent of traffic fatalities, according to data from the National Safety Council.
Were you hurt in a motorcycle accident and believe someone else’s negligence caused your injuries? If so, our El Paso motorcycle accident lawyers want to help you fight for the compensation you need for your medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more.
Contact the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC, today for a free case review.
How a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
In the aftermath of a motorcycle accident, you likely have many concerns about your health and finances. Enlisting our experienced El Paso motorcycle accident lawyers can relieve some of the stress of your situation by allowing you to focus on recuperation.
Our attorneys stand ready to:
- Explain your legal rights
- Evaluate your case to determine possible sources of compensation
- Investigate your accident and gather evidence
- Handle all communications with third parties like insurers and defense lawyers
- Negotiate for a fair settlement from a position of strength
- Represent you at trial if necessary to seek appropriate compensation
The process of seeking compensation can be time-consuming and complex. When you entrust our attorneys with your legal fight, you benefit from our knowledge, experience, and dedication. Let us handle all the legal work while you focus on healing.
Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents in Texas
Many types of motorcycle accidents stem from negligence on the part of other vehicle operators, including:
- Lane Change Accidents — When drivers make abrupt or unexpected lane changes, especially without signaling or checking their blind spots, it puts nearby motorcyclists at risk. The passenger vehicle may sideswipe the motorcycle, or the motorcyclist may have to swerve to avoid a collision, which can also lead to an accident.
- Intersection Accidents — Intersections involve vehicles crossing paths, which can be especially dangerous places for motorcyclists due to their lack of protection compared to passenger vehicle drivers. Most intersection accidents involve reckless or negligent actions such as running a red light, failing to yield before turning, and speeding. A widespread type of crash involves another motorist turning left into the path of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Rear-End Collisions — Rear-end collisions in which the front of a passenger vehicle hits the rear of a motorcycle can be deadly for riders. Potential effects of a rear-end collision include throwing the biker, flipping the motorcycle, lifting its rear wheel off the ground, or causing it to collide with a vehicle in front of it.
- Dooring Accidents — These accidents, in which a driver fails to check their surroundings and opens the door of their vehicle directly into the path of an oncoming motorcycle, can cause serious injury. The motorcyclist may hit the door at full speed, they may attempt to stop or swerve out of the way, or they may be flung from their motorcycle into moving traffic.
- Head-On Collisions — Head-on collisions may occur when a vehicle driver is rounding a corner, attempting to pass a slow-moving vehicle, or veering out of their lane due to drowsiness, distraction, or impairment. A motorcycle colliding head-on with a passenger vehicle can send the rider flying through the air with no control over how or where they land.
- Sideswipe Accidents — When a passenger vehicle collides with the side of a motorcycle, it’s often the result of the driver’s failure to check their mirrors and blind spots to ensure it’s safe to change lanes. Impairment, distraction, and abrupt lane changes can also lead to sideswipe accidents.
- Single-Vehicle Crashes — Some single-vehicle crashes result from factors beyond a motorcyclist’s control. For example, negligent behavior by drivers that doesn’t result in a collision can still lead to a serious accident. Malfunctions or defects in a motorcycle can also cause a crash, as can poorly maintained roadways.
Why Understanding How the Accident Occurred Can Help You Obtain Compensation
A motorcycle accident can leave you on a long road to physical recovery with significant medical expenses, lost wages, and severe emotional and psychological trauma. You may wonder whether you have grounds to file a personal injury claim to seek compensation for your losses.
In Texas, all drivers owe a duty of care to the people with whom they share the road. When a driver violates this duty of care and causes an accident that injures someone else, that driver’s negligence makes them liable for the other person’s injuries. That is the basis of Texas personal injury law. If you’re injured in a motorcycle accident, whether you can recover compensation likely hinges on negligence.
That is why understanding the causes of your accident is vital in helping you secure compensation — and why working with our motorcycle accident lawyers is so important. Our lawyers are ready to conduct a comprehensive investigation into your accident, gathering police reports, eyewitness testimony, medical records, and other evidence.
We can use this evidence to support your claim and argue that the other driver’s negligence led to your accident and any resulting losses for which you deserve compensation.
Contact an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
The expenses following a motorcycle accident can be considerable, and you may be worried about how you’ll afford your medical bills and living expenses, especially if you can’t work due to your injuries. Personal injury law exists to protect and compensate people in situations like yours. If your accident was someone else’s fault, that person should make you whole again.
The motorcycle accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Michael J. Gopin, PLLC, have more than 30 years of combined legal experience standing up for injured bikers. When you have questions about your legal options following a motorcycle accident, you deserve to have them answered with insight, clarity, and compassion. Our team is here to serve our community members when they need help seeking the compensation they deserve after catastrophic accidents.
Contact us today for your free initial case review.